The Road Less Traveled

I took the road less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Merry Christmas Eve. I am at home instead of Mass, I would not be able to sit for the service and plus it is the children's Mass and I am not up for that this year.

I have been searching the internet in between naps since I can't do much more!!!

Anyways, I have been looking at baby carriers. Here is my dilemma, I have a Snuggli carrier that I have used on G- (I baby sit her for a friend) It has worked out good for me, but now G- is almost 17lbs it is getting harder to carry her for longer periods of time. I plan on taking this carrier to Vietnam, but I am also looking at some other carriers and I wonder what other have used...

We had anticipated Kitten to be over the age of 1, but our agency said to expect her to be very young (I am now taking this with a grain of salt, as other things we have been told have not been accurate). I had a great hip carrier all picked out, but now I am afraid she will be to little for that for a while (I am not going to order a carrier until we get our referral).

I am torn between a ring sling and a pouch. I have been looking at a very nice site called www.alongfortheride.biz seems to have lots of information, but I still can not decide. I have seen these is all sorts of beautiful fabrics so that makes the decision even harder...

So any advice from people with experience would be appreciated.. I might end up buying both because they both look good!!!!! To many decisions...

We plan on carrying Kitten around as much as possible to help with bonding, but I am also afraid there will be some boundary issues with my MIL. I have been telling people for a very long time that we are not going to want others to hold her and to help with her care until we feel that she understands who we are to her. We want to do what is best for her attachment.

I feel that if one of us has her in a carrier that the MIL will be less likely to try and hold her.... Maybe not though... I will not hesitate to put my foot down, but I don't want a confrontation with her because she will make herself out to be a victim and I will be the baby hog!!!

I have had some issues with her just from having G- around. She has actually yanked G- out of my arms because she wants to hold her after I told her no, now G- is older she takes one look at my MIL (if she is holding her)and screams and reaches out for me.

So I know that if I am having issues now with G- and she is not even my baby I know that it will get worse when Kitten gets home!!!!

My MIL is a real piece of work... She invited herself to Vietnam and then proceeded to tell us what time of year would work best for her to travel (like we get a choice). So Rich told her she was not going with us..... We had talked about it and said if my parents wanted to go that would be fine, because they would do what they where told and stay in the back ground and just take pictures and run the video camera. But, she would turn everything into being about her..

Sorry I am b*tching about her, but she just drives me nuts most of the time. We are really thinking about moving to get away from her. One of my husbands brothers moved to get away.

A prime example of her nuttiness was with my last surgery in October, I found out she was telling people that she had to take me to the surgery and them get me home and take care of me for 3 days!!!!! Now keep in mind my husband took off of work to take care of me and my mom also flew up for it. I only saw her for about 10 minutes before my surgery and then did not see her again for a week or two!!!! So now with this latest surgery I wonder what she is telling people, I am sure it is that she had to give me a kidney or a lung.....

Well enough of the MIL complaining time for Rich to come home from Mass and we can watch a movie.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:42 AM, Blogger R&H said…

    I totally can relate-we have family members like that too. We are actually just going to tell everyone that nobody will get to hold Elia for at least a couple of months. I've already started telling people and I've had mixed reactions-some pretend to understand or do understand and some completely think it's the dumbest thing they've ever heard. I don't care-I'm doing what I feel is right.

    We have a Mei Tai carrier and I absolutely LOVE it! It's really easy to use, really light, the kids are comfortable and LIGHT in it! I carried my 20 month old around for HOURS with it on during our garage sale. I've held up to a 3.4 year old in it-and that DID get heavy but if I had to do it it would work for a little while, unlike the other types of carriers that would just break your back if you put a child that big in it.

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh man, I'm sorry about your MIL. I know it's easier said than done, but stick to your guns. She's had her baby years, now it's your turn. If things get uncomfortable, just turn your attention to your little girl and everything will be just fine again. :)

    We have a baby bjorn which worked well for Ava until right before her 2nd birthday, although she only weighed 22 lbs at 2 y/o, so it never got very heavy.

    We also have a slingling and I love it! It's a pouch...no straps to adjust, just slip in the baby and go. Ava loved it. It snuggles tiny babies close to you and it holds up to 35 lbs, so it's perfect for a toddler, too.

    I had a heck of a time choosing carriers. There are a lot of good ones out there!

     
  • At 12:51 AM, Blogger KelleyO said…

    You're MIL sounds like no fun! I'd want to move too! I can't stand pushy people. Hang in there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home