The Road Less Traveled

I took the road less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

Sunday, May 06, 2007

I just looked this up, we have been DTV 311 days!!!! That is a long time people. I am feeling that our wait is not going to be much longer (okay hoping and praying).

Looks like our agency is getting some referrals in from the new orphanage they have signed with (according to the director). They sent out a memo on Friday telling everyone about the new orphanage and that there are some fee increases if you accept a referral form there (you do not have to accept a referral from there, you can wait for a referral from the other orphanages they work with) with that being said, we have told them that we would gladly accept a referral from the new orphanage.

If we get a referral from this orphanage then we will fly in and out of Hanoi, I wanted to see Ho Chi Minh but, I think I can survive not getting to go there!!!

I am having fun looking at all the different little hotels there are in Vietnam. I go to www.hotels-in-vietnam.com it gives good information. At first I was stuck in my, we must stay in a western style hotel, I was thinking Somerset or the Hilton (I am a snob about hotels). Today after looking at some of the smaller hotels and talking it over with the husband and my mom we have decided that we want to stay at a small little hotel owned by local people. The one we want to stay a has several pages of great reviews and it's in the middle of everything.

Up until now I have been a bit nervous about this trip, we have never been out of the states before, now I am chomping at the bit to go. I want to experience as much of Vietnam as I can, not only for myself but, for my daughter. It is really hitting me that she will only know about Vietnam what we tell her and show her. We would love to take her back one day but, you never know when and if that will happen or if she will even want to go back.

I don't know that my thoughts and feelings about Vietnam can ever be truly expressed, this is a country I will be forever grateful to for giving me the greatest gift possible.

I know that I complain about being DTV 311 days, I also worry about how much time I am missing in some little girls life. But, I have decided to look at it differently now. I may be missing a few months of her life but, I will have her the rest of my life. I will know how wonderful, talanted and smart she is, Vietnam will not get to see that. Vietnam will see it as she is a lucky baby, coming to America to be raised. I see it as we are the lucky ones, we get to tuck her in at night and watch her grow and flourish.

It is becoming more and more clear to me just how much responsibility it is to be a parent, not only to a child but, a child from another race and culture. (Before some says, well ya duh.... I knew it was a lot of responsibility from the start, now that our referral is closer it is really hitting home).

When we get Kittens' referral I will announce her real name!!!!! I know some of you may be shocked to find out Kitten will not be her real name.....

8 Comments:

  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger Rita said…

    Oh no.. i can't believe you've been waiting this long..... ugh! i hated waiting. i would still be waiting myself if i hadnt' found our kids on another agency's waiting child page. I hope your wait goes quickly and your referral comes even more quicklier (yeah i know, not a word!)

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger jenn said…

    Not sure if you are set on a hotel yet, but we stayed at the Hoa Binh Palace Hotel (www.hoabinhpalacehotel.vn) It is a quiet little place, right on the edge of the Old Quarter, a short block for Hoan Kiem Lake and we LOVED it! The restaurant at the top is both tasty and affordable, the rooms a bit small but nice and clean. The staff was top notch, I can't say enough nice things about the hotel! Pretty sure they are listed on the site you were looking at as well, though you can get just as good or a better rate if you work with the hotel directly.

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger Beckyb said…

    I have loved reading your story - we are also in the wait - for our second adoption - not as long as you have been but I SO hear you anyway - the wait is excruciating - we know it's worth it at the end, but getting through it - that's the trick!!!

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger S. said…

    You mean Kitten won't be her real name, LOL!

    It must be getting closer! I hope that it happens very soon for you!

    I hear you on the hotel thing...but I just know my dh and myself too well...and it is probably lame, but given that he works for a luxury hotel which has spoiled us, we will probably be staying at the Hilton or the Metropole (what's a little more debt when we are already so deep in!). I know we will be missing out on getting to know the "real" Vietnam, but this is the best choice for us. I can see why you would choose differently and can't wait to read about your travels!

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have been waiting a very long time and I'm so happy your agency had some good news. I really hope your feeling is right and that you have your baby girl's picture soon. :)

    Kudos to you for wanting to stay in a smaller hotel. While in Hanoi we stayed at the Hong Ngoc which is right in the middle of the Old Quarter. The hotel itself was just OK, but it was sooooo great stepping outside and being right in the middle of life Vietnam.

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Mrs.B said…

    Oh, I hope you hear somthing soon!
    I cant even imagine the wait you have had! cant wait to find out Kitten's real name! although, kitten is kinda growing on me.. wink, wink!

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger Tracy said…

    I'm waiting to announce name upon referral too. Cuz I'm pretty sure I can't keep calling her Baby E.

     
  • At 9:14 PM, Blogger Solbergs said…

    I hope your wait is nearing an end!! You have been waiting so long and it must be so tough -- but you seem to be in great spirits, which is very important! I love that you are so excited to go to VN too. You will really enjoy everything! Can't wait to find out her name.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home